It was 1 degree outside this morning, which means we are OFFICIALLY in the dead of winter here in Centre County. The good news is that there is still fun to be had! Here’s a roundup of the 9 best winter activities to keep yourself occupied as we weather the winter.
- Go to a Penn State Hockey game – The PSU Men’s Ice Hockey team has games scheduled up until the end of February, with quarterfinals, semifinals, and regionals taking place after that. Tickets here.
- Go ice skating – Pegula ice arena on Penn State’s campus is open to the public, but there are also several outdoor public rinks around the county, including Blue Spring Park and Bellefonte’s Talleyrand Park.
- Fun in the Snow at Black Mo – An event taking place this Saturday, January 29th from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm at Black Moshannon State Park. Link to more information here.
- Go sledding at Slab Cabin Park – Arguably the best sledding hill in Centre County! Located at 316 Elmwood St State College, take your sled and make a day of it! Be sure to snag some hot chocolate after!
- Skii, snowboard, or tube at Tussey Mountain. Personally one of my favorite winter activities in the area!
- For the person who would rather explore indoor activities during the winter… Now is a great time to visit the Palmer Museum of Art! Admission is free.
- Another idea for the indoor enthusiast – Go see a show at the State Theatre. Upcoming events list here.
- Hike Mount Nittany – This idea is best for when there’s no snow or ice on the ground, so maybe save this one for the end of the winter season 🙂
- And, sometimes when it’s cold outside the best activity is just to visit a local restaurant! A delicious dinner and some drinks from a local brewery or distillery are sure to warm your soul! Otto’s Pub and Brewery, Barrel 21 Distillery, Axemann Brewery, and Big Spring Spirits are some of my personal favorites!
Stay warm out there Happy Valley. Only a few more months and spring will be upon us!